ECDL - New Version 6 course
Frequently asked questions
Can anybody take this course?
Yes, anybody with an interest in developing their computer skills can apply for this course. You would however need to own or have access to a PC as the course a computer based learning programme. Otherwise only very basic computer skills are required to get started.
New ECDL Modules at a glance:
- Computer Essentials - This module teaches essential concepts and skills about the use of devices, file creation and management, networks and data security.
- Online Essentials - Covers the essentials you need for going online, including web browsing, effective search engine use, online communication and email.
- Word Processing - Covers creating, formatting and finishing small-sized word processing documents such as letters and other everyday documents.
- Spreadsheets - This module enables candidates to understand the concept of spreadsheets and to demonstrate the ability to use a spreadsheet application.
- Using Databases - Main concepts of databases - This includes creating and modifying tables, queries, forms and reports, and preparing outputs ready for distribution.
- Presentation - This module enables candidates to demonstrate competence in using presentation tools on a computer.
- IT Security - This security-specific module will enable users to protect both themselves and their data from a range of fraudulent/malicious activities.
How soon can I start?
Right away if you wish ! This is the great advantage of home study.
What do I need to do this course?
This is an online course delivered over the internet so you will need to own or have access to a PC or tablet computer and the internet.
What is the ECDL?
The letters mean European Computer Driving Licence, and this certificate is a well-recognised IT skills qualification throughout Ireland and the rest of the EU. It is designed for people who want to demonstrate their competence in computer skills and is open to everyone. regardless of age, experience, education or background. The ECDL certificate will certainly enhance your career, return to work, or promotion prospects.
Is the ECDL courseware approved?
The European Computer Driving Licence Foundation Ltd has registered Trade Marks and logos. The courseware material distributed through Kilroy's College has received the approval of ECDL Foundation.
How do I get the ECDL certificate?
By passing tests for each of the seven modules contained in this course at a local ECDL testing centre. There are ECDL testing centres throughout the country. Our Student Services Department can guide you on this matter or you can find a test centre here. A fee will be payable to the test centre.
ECDL Certification options:
- ECDL Award (What everyone knows as "the ECDL") Awarded for 7 modules including four mandatory modules (see below) Online Essentials Computer Essentials Word Processing Spreadsheets + any 3 other modules.
- ECDL Essentials Certificate Essentials awarded for four mandatory modules only (see below) Online Essentials Computer Essentials Word Processing Spreadsheets.
- Profile Certificate Can be any combination of modules.