Looking for a job
- Set about job hunting in a systematic way. Use a job file. This will help you to keep all your papers in good order.
- Use as many channels of information about vacancies as possible (e.g. the press, internet, friends etc.)
- Persevere - sometimes the job you want cannot be easily found, but your hard work will pay off in the end.
Applying for a job
- Read the job advertisement and any other documentatoin carefully.
- Make a first draft of your application before attempting the final draft.
- Fill in application forms with great care. Check thoroughly that there are no mistakes.
- Set out the information in your CV neatly and logically. Look at our section on CV writing.
- Keep letters of application reasonably short. Do not use them to merely repeat details given in the CV.
- Use the letter of application to emphasize relevant and positive aspects of your experience and qualification.
- Write in a clear, direct, business-like style.
- Avoid any mistakes in spelling, punctuation and expression.
- If you have to telephone your potential employer use the telephone politely and efficiently.